VffAdmin
Rapid Report: Our visit (Nov. 24th-25th) to Shichigahama, Miyagi Prefecture
by Voices from the Field Admin - Wednesday, 19 December 2012, 01:43 AM

japanese

rapid-1

From the transportation route map, I saw that there are many areas where the train system has not yet been restored.

Even now, in some sections, buses are running as a substitute for the trains.

rapid-2

Seen in the middle of the photo, far in the back, is a pile of rubble. I recall that there was a playground immediately below this.

rapid-3

A sign showing the weekly schedule of salt removal for farmland restoration

I thought that the farmland, which was inundated with saltwater by the tsunami, [I1] would be restored by replacing the soil. But I heard that this would be extremely difficult. So, instead, they have been working to restore their farmland by removing the salt from the soil.

When I did some research, I found there is a variety of ways for salt removal.

rapid-4

We could still find pieces of the wrecked houses here and there.

Picture of Sharon Corologos
Re: Rapid Report: Our visit (Nov. 24th-25th) to Shichigahama, Miyagi Prefecture
by Sharon Corologos - Thursday, 27 December 2012, 08:02 AM

Many people would never think that salt removal from fields could be an important goal. And yet, little can grow in a salt-infested field.

Projects that aren't people-centered may not generate as much interest, but they are so important!

You may be interested to now that some unusual tsunami flotsam has made it to the U.S. west coast. Last week, a large boat dock floated in, too big to actually reach the shore, so boats went out to inspect the debris. And today, I saw a picture of a Japanese motorcycle that washed up on shore. These are concrete examples of how we are all connected to each other.

You see, your tsunami is OUR tsunami; your weather becomes our weather..... Your suffering is our suffering; your recovery is our recovery.

And your recovery is happening, is growing. It may not be complete in our lifetime, but our young people, Japanese and American, will respect the way that Japan's tsunami victims are fighting their way back from the brink.