VffAdmin
ROAD vol.17 Evacuees' Short Comments
by Voices from the Field Admin - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 09:57 AM

japanese

twitter

Read the prologue to the evacuees' comments listed below

Though various volunteer groups have come here for us, the participantings (residents) are always the same. The other people don't come though we invited them. They sayid they can't join our conversation.  They have no sense of humor. But they always join the events such as soup runs kitchens and rationsother events which have hand-outs. (Woman in her 60's)

I feel better. I slept well last night because I had been massagedreceived this foot massage yesterday.  Is it better to massage by myself like this than to be just chilling without doing nothing?  S since I’m inactive these days have nothing to do now? ...In past days, I used to work and pull weeds and such etc.  (Woman in her 80's)

Just as I thought, I feel lonely because I must say it’s sad when I cannot hear children's voices. It is getting a little better nowa little, because athe meeting hall wasis built here. 
Since almost all neighbors are old, I cannot hear anyone's voice when I am in my house. 
(Man, in his 70's, temporary housing, ShichigahamaRikuzentakata, June. 24, 2012)

People leave by degreesone by one from the temporary housings. It makes me feel lonely and sad. You know, I have nothing because the tsunami washed it all awayTsunami has taken all my stuffs by force. (Woman in her 50s, Yamamoto, July 14, 2012)

There used to be mMy house was near the sea., but iIt is still therewithstood the tsunami. That place was cool and comfortable. I live with my husband. I have three children andbut they have moved to far places because of this disaster. Thus, I rarely meet my grandchildren anymore, unfortunately. (Woman in her 60s, Otama, Fukushima, July 15, 2012)

I am alone and lonely now. It used to be very lively in my 10-person householdMy family used to number 10 and be lively. This foot bath felt really nice.I was happy. Thank you. (Woman in her 60s, Tono, Aug. 10, 2012

I’m originally from Tono and, after marriage,ed moved to Otsuchi. Now I have coame back to Tono after being affected by the escaping from disaster. Volunteers people only caome once and never come back, right? That’s make me lonelysad. Please come back again. (Woman in her 60s, Tono, employ expedite Housing, Aug. 10, 2012)

My grandson was finally born in May of the year before the tTsunami disaster. Now he is two years old. But I am sad because I no longer live with him after the tTsunami disaster, I can’t live with him and I am sad. They are My son’s family is living in an apartment in the cCity. I wish I can live with them again as earlysoon as possible. Right now my grandson is at the cutest age cutest time. (Woman in her 60s, Ishinomaki Temporary housing, Aug. 17, 2012)

My 5 familyIn my family, five members passed away…it’s very sad! I don’t know most of the people here living in temporary housing. I have a tendency to feel the cold, so I appreciate how this foot bath . So if I dip my feet in Hot water it makes me wormwarms me up.  (Woman in her 70s, Ishinomaki Temporary housing, Aug. 19, 2012)

I used to live in Hirota, but I couldn’t get a chance to enterwin the lottery to move into the temporary housing near there. Last August I was able to move into temporary housing here. I feel a bit lonely because there are no none of my former neighbors are here. Now I became am one of the staffs of the common room, and come here twice a week. Chatting and keeping busy with a lot of people around takes my mind off things.  (A wWoman in her 50s, Rikuzentakata, Aug. 24, 2012)

My neighbors are is so lucky, they have a big family. I just live just with my daughter in temporary housing. All myThe rest of my family except us was washed away. It’s lonely being only the two of us., I miss them very much. The vans from the supermarkets Aeon and Maiya come here to sell grocery goods once a week, respectively, but that is not enough. Our fridge becomes empty in a week. I don’t drive a car, so this is really tough. 
(WA woman in her 50s, Rikuzentakata, Aug. 26, 2012)

I want to see and talk to my son and daughter who live in Tokyo because I’m lonely now. I want my son to rub my hands. (WA woman in her 50s)

When I was young, I did various kinds of work and went to various a lot of different places,. S such as Hokkaido and Sado. I have a granddaughter, and when I piggyback her, she sings onin my back. She is adorable. Although I’m old, I’m happy to have funI’m fortunate to have things that I can enjoy at this old age. I regret that I can’t show you the  lovely photos and records I have because they were all washed away. I have aAll of them are in my head, but I can’t tell you about thempossibly explain it all. (A mMan in his 70s)

I didn’t think thatnever imagined I would end up livinge in Mobilria (a former campground). There was blue used to be green rice fields in front of my house, which was washed away, and there werewould be a line of camping cars standing in a lineheading to Mobilia. Before the tsunami, when my sons had come to visit, I had reserved a spot there in advance, pitched a tent, and done a barbecue. (WA woman, age unknown who is missing in the generation)

Yesterday, I went to the sea for the first time since the tsunami. The oysters won’t grow very well now because their shells are all covered with moss. (Woman in her 70s, Ishinomaki, July 6, 2012)

We are good friends with each other because we had lived in the same place for a long time and then moved into the same temporary housing. (WA woman in her 60s, Sep. 29, 2012)

After March 11th, I couldn’t settle down in went from one relative’s place to another  and visited several relatives’ in the Kanto area. I have a grandson in Kanagawa. I lost everything but some photos, which is keep all I have of my life’s memories. (WA woman in her 80s, Sep. 29, 2012)

I’m happy that I can take a nice and hot bath every night because I finally got a re-heating system for the bath finally. (WA woman in her 70s, Sep. 29, 2012)