VffAdmin
ROAD vol.12 Evacuees' Short Comments
by Voices from the Field Admin - Sunday, 24 February 2013, 09:49 PM

japanese

twitter

Read the prologue to the evacuees' comments listed below

It became colder in the afternoon. Since the bath tub in the temporary housing is individual sized, it is too small to stretch my legs out. Though a kerosene stove was supplied, I have to leave it here when I move out.(A man in his 70s, Rikuzentakata, Nov.1, 2011)

My legs below the knee are becoming weaker, however I can walk without a cane. Whenever I feel pain in my lower back or legs, I make a habit of taking a bath even in the daytime. That soothes me very much. I can sleep well tonight thanks to this ashiyu service.(A woman in her 70s, Watari, Nov.12, 2011)

It is cold in the temporary housing, it becomes cold so quickly. Even taking a bath doesn’t seem to warm me up. I don’t feel like giving myself a foot bath before bedtime. But receiving this ashiyu makes me realize how nice it is.(A man in his 70s, Watari, Nov.12, 2011)

The bath in the temporary housing is very small but compared to life at the shelter, I feel much happier. In the shelter, people would compete over things like cardboard boxes. I am happy now, really. (A woman in her 70s Yamamoto, Oct. 31, 2011)

That was really helpful when the Self Defense Forces set up a temporary bath facility at the shelter. Nearly 20 people at a time could take a bath. It was a bit embarrassing but I felt grateful. (A woman in her 40s, Yamamoto, Oct. 31, 2011)

At the time, I would go without bathing for about ten days and would wear the same clothes. It made me realize that people can still survive in such situations. It feels great to have talked to you today about these things. Usually I don’t feel like talking so much.(A woman in her 50s, Rikuzentakada, Nov. 1, 2011)

I feel a terrible pain in my hands when it is cold. The footbath is hot and soothing. I won't need to take a bath tonight! (A man in his 70s, Iwanuma, Oct. 30, 2011)

It is cold in the temporary housing. Even if I take a hot shower, I soon feel cold. The kitchen is especially cold. This foot bath has started to heat me up. I’m even sweating now. It was cold this morning so it’s a good thing I came here!(A woman in her 30s, Iwanuma, Oct. 31, 2011)

My feet and hands are usually very warm. Even then, it is so cold I started to use the heater since September. It is really cold here in the temporary housing. (A woman in her 80s, Iwanuma, Oct. 31, 2011)

I am sad because my daughter and grandchildren were washed away by the tsunami. […] There is no function to reheat the bathtub water, which is not a problem for this season (when it’s not yet too cold). But in the winter, I am sure whoever takes a bath last will feel cold as the bathwater will not be kept hot. There is also a height difference between the bathtub and the showering area, so it is very dangerous.A woman in her 70s, Ishinomaki, Sep. 11, 2011)

I have been to the hospital today. I fractured my rib from slipping and falling in the bathroom just when I had moved here in June.  However, the doctor told me today that it has healed. I also injured myself in August when I fell over while I was hanging laundry and knocked down a fan and TV. So I got injured twice since I came here.(A woman in her 80s, Ishinomaki, Aug. 26, 2011)

I was able to come back to my home once the water system was recovered after taking a month and a half. I will never forget the feeling when I took my first bath. I thought how wonderful it was!  I feel relaxed receiving this footbath, too.  Thank you, I really appreciate it. Coming to these gather places also gives me a chance to see old friends. (A woman in her 60s, Ozuchi, Oct. 19, 2011)